Thursday, December 17, 2009

Final Reflection

I definitely made progress this semester and I'm happy with what I learned. I can't believe how far my drawings have come since day one. My first drawings were basic outlines of the model. They looked generalized. I didn't give the body any form or depth.

When I draw the body now, I start with the interior. I look where the spine is. Then I add the ribcage. Everything sort of stems from those two areas and the rest comes easy. I had no idea at the beginning of the semester that you should think of the inside of the body first.

I enjoyed learning all the body parts and muscles because knowing what's inside help make good drawings. At the beginning of the semester I would see muscles and bones but I didn't know what they really looked like. But now that I've created muscles and studied bone structure I can picture those forms in my head. Knowing why the back angles a certain way helps tremendously when drawing.

The feet were more challenging than I expected. It is very difficult to form the foot and not make it look skewed or flat. The toes and fingers were difficult but simplifying them into basic shapes really helped. The nose was also difficult because it is such a unique, organic structure. The nose has so many curves and shapes that person really needs just take a moment and draw what they really see. The same is true with the eyes. I had no idea that eyes are so circular and protrude like they do. I really enjoyed the lecture on the eyes and I enjoyed drawing them too. The mouth is more complicated than I thought, so learning how to draw that was enjoyable too.

Compared to my first contour drawings, my later drawings feel less computer-ish and uniform. The newer ones feel more lifelike and organic. I feel like there is better line weight too.

Drawing on the big paper took more planning. I wanted to figure out the best proportion to make the drawings look good an enormous size. I really stressed line weight and overall I think the newer drawings are successful.

I was very nervous about drawing someone else. I struggled with portraits in the past, so I knew it wasn't going to be easy. However, since I knew the form of the mouth, nose, and eyes it went surprisingly well. It may not have looked totally like my model, but everything was in proportion and it look good. I was pleasantly surprised both of them turned out the way they did!

Overall, this class made me a better artist. I have so much more knowledge of the human body and I will be able to carry this information onto other projects as well. The more I learn about the body the more I appreciate it.

FLICKR

No comments:

Post a Comment